>> March 17, 2020
>> Blog Post #41
French President Macron went on television yesterday evening to announce that France had entered a war. He repeated the phrase “we are in a war” over and over again, to bash it into everyone’s mind and probably make viewers believe that this is inevitable or true…
I wanted to write about it last night, but I was too angry, my entire reaction to the whole speech was disgust.
You cannot wage war against a virus. A war if you look at various dictionaries is generally defined as a period of armed fighting between countries, states, groups, organizations. However, it has sometimes been used metaphorically to describe different realities.
The war on drugs. Established under Nixon, the war on drugs was an attempt by the US to meddle in the political affairs of Central and South American countries under the false pretext of fighting drug abuse back home. The policy lasted for decades and led to a lot of political instability south of the border and to some well documented racial disparities in prosecutions and prison sentencing in the US, with the African American community being the big loser on that front.
Then you have the war on terror. This one defies logic when you think of it. How can you go on television, make a false statement, start a war on that false statement, be responsible for thousands of deaths – on both sides – remain in office and then retire peacefully. That is exactly what happened when George W. Bush declared the “War on Terror” and decided to invade Irak even though the UN experts determined that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction….
How is it possible, that you – as people – will accept “leaders” to blatantly lie to your face, with terrible consequences – people died because of it – and stay silent?
The Macron discussion yesterday went something like this.
- These are not normal times.
- They are happening because you – the French people – are acting irresponsibly.
- I personally blame you for your behavior.
- You are actually the reason this virus is spreading, and I blame you for it.
- So, I will punish you and send you to your room until further notice.
- To do so, I will take decisions that have never been taken before in times of peace in this country’s history.
- All these are based on discussions I have had with “the experts”.
- I am declaring war – even though there is no enemy.
- By doing so, I will be allowed by the powers I am now granting to myself, to take a slew of decisions that will not be in your best interest.
- You have given me no choice.
- It is your fault.
- If you do not comply, you will be severely punished.
I am terrified at how easily democracies seem to be sliding out of the people’s hands.
People you are going to get fucked hard. New laws will be passed that will severely restrict your personal liberties, and they will never be rescinded once the virus disappears.
I hope some smart people start to take that declaration and document the choice of words and how they are used to manipulate the mass. This is the only thing Macron was doing yesterday and it is far scarier in my books than the virus itself.
Please, in these difficult times, remain safe. Take care of your loved ones and respect the basic hygiene rules to try and slow down the spread of the virus. But I also urge you to remain vigilant and critical of all the laws that are going to be taken very quickly by your respective governments.
You are a human being, you have no master, you have no owner. You are also capable of loving and caring for people. Stay safe.