>> March 4, 2020
>> Blog Post #35
I have decided to start building training material about bitcoin and to slowly develop my training offering. If you have any questions or comments about this, please reach out to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Too many people around me still have a problem understanding what bitcoin is.
- Some don’t know;
- some think they know things that just aren’t true;
- some blindly repeat the worst fallacies ever;
- most people seem to want to understand it better if you listen to them and are at least a little curious.
What people say they want and what they actually want is different.
People ask how they could learn more
- I don’t necessarily know where to send them;
- I very much doubt they are going to read all of the Nakamoto Institute resources by themselves;
- what they are really asking for is for someone to talk them through it at least to get started;
- people are often afraid of asking too precise questions, for fear of looking bad;
- many are not used to conducting researching by themselves. A large majority of people – not all of course – have become too accustomed to having their hands held while learning, or worse, being told what to think. Please consider what I just said very carefully as it is one of my strongest beliefs;
- Bitcoin seems so complicated it is scary;
- we are still early enough in the game, that we do have to concede that we lack widely available, easy to understand resources.
Why I decided to do this
- I feel like I can help since I’ve been involved in bitcoin for a few years;
- I want more people to know about it and understand it;
- it really makes me angry when I hear stupid comments and I feel like it is a personal responsibility to react – I’m looking at you flat earther types;
- it is a good test for me to see if I can explain it myself – clearly, and in a way people will find interesting and worthwhile;
- it is a great way of bringing more people into the bitcoin world – evangelize;
- it is a great way of meeting people and growing your own network. Always happy to meet people who have a very different background and set of skills than mine.
What I think I know and what I actually know is different.
- only by talking to real people, with real questions, and real needs / use cases, can you better understand what people actually know, need, want;
- I run a bitcoin-only business and having a clear and precise understanding of how people interact / want to interact with bitcoin is extremely valuable – this could lead to new products or services that can be discussed or tested during those real-life interactions
and obviously you knew about this one:
- the last item is money, I hope to be able to monetize parts of this: more info in the last paragraph of this section.
What “training” am I developing
As of today, the only thing I have is what is in the few lines above, so at this stage it’s all a work in progress, but this is the vision I have and the way I wish to approach all of this. Everything will be iterated anyways, as iterating is really a great mix of getting stuff out through the door while always keeping a strong focus on quality through peer / outside feedback.
training material / content:
- articles, posts
- slide presentations
- longer text material
training time / events:
- in-person bitcoin training
- classroom bitcoin training
- hands-on product training
- remote consulting
How it should work
The bitcoin ecosystem is a wonderful space to work in. I came into bitcoin after reading about the lives of the people who created the internet, their dreams, their ethos. A lot of the principles that they held dear to their hearts are fundamental to bitcoin. Knowledge wants to be free. Decentralization is a goal to tend towards. Open source is extremely powerful. These are just a few examples, but hopefully you get the overall gist and I’ll detail some of these and more in the training itself.
What I listed under training material and content should consist mainly of knowledge, that I will be formatting one way or another. As such, it will be freely available to all as long as there is no specific design element to things such as infographics etc. I should have a lot of this content on the website and it will be available to download for free. I do not own bitcoin or ideas or concepts.
The items I list under training time or events work the other way around. My time is precious, and I own it. You should therefore expect most of the items falling under this category to be tailor made by me and represent a time commitment on my side. They will therefore come at a cost and that will be a way for me to monetize my work. As in the above paragraph, there might be a few caveats / exceptions. Speaking opportunities for example, under certain circumstances – community-focused nonprofit events for example – might actually be free.
Knowledge is free, my time is not.
Please let me know in the comments section below if there is anything specific that you are interested in or would like to see developed or contact me by email. I’m always happy to discuss.